Myalabasterbox

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why do I feel like time is running out on me…?

I think that I am now ready to have my child. I know I know…
For some reason I feel settled. HAHAHA funny coz I’m not actively dating, whatever that entails, or in a serious relationship, wait a little moment of disillusionment - I’m not in a relationship with anyone period!

So I graduate on Monday, yippeeeeeeeeee...it’s been a loooooooooong time coming. I am NOT marching and most of my friends don’t understand that I don’t care to. I LOATHE attention and can’t imagine folk whooping and hollering, one even threatened to carry a blow-horn and make a field day of it when my name is called. SUCCESS!!! With this milestone, I feel like I’ve duly achieved the right to have a child. My excuse was always that I could not afford the time to plunge into this. Now that the internships, exams, papers and much dreaded presentations are out of the way I can a) go to the sperm bank b)convince one of my male friends to indulge c) stop running away from Mr. Man and plunge into a committed relationship with him…NOT.

I like option b the best and actually asked a friend about it on Tuesday. He initially thought I was joking. Don’t know why because we’ve had this conversation enough times. We talked for about 45mins, me thinking that we are on the same page after he had stopped picking on me and joking about it. Then bye bye smooches yadda and we hang-up only for him to call me back after a few minutes sounding extremely somber. Baritone enters in “hey, were you really serious about what we were talking about” Sexy me “yes, but of course my stance is still no pressure.” I don’t know. Sometimes I tend to share intimate stuff with so called friends and they don’t take me seriously or don’t believe me. I think I’m an open book and don’t have time for games or secrets, granted sometimes both are necessary depending on who’s boat is being rocked.

I totally understand his non-committal on this issue and even respect it. So I’m moving on to specimen B. I don’t do well with deceit thus as I told specimen A, I will let B know that I selfishly don’t want him to feel obligated to me or the earthling-to-be. I really am of the strong conviction that I can do this alone and don’t need any commitment financial or otherwise on the specimens’ part. I know harsh. One may wonder why I won’t opt for sperm bank. I’ve actually considered the pros n cons on this and have had heated discussions with a significant female in my life and she is of the opinion that on this matter I’m bluffing and more so an oaf. She’s entitled to her opinion.

I may not be articulating my take on the having a baby thing in these written words, but its not as simple or incognizant or unthought-of…it’s a well deliberated, even elaborate plan. Maybe not human, according to many peoples standards or morals but it sits well with me. I understand that a child is not a toy to fill the void of whatever life has inhibited me or that I’ve allowed myself to be denied or my cards/stars simply haven’t drawn thus far. I understand that I’d be making a huge sacrifice to bring this being into the world and further that I can’t switch off from him/her. I would solely be responsible for the being. I would have to think about the being before any comforts of mine. It’s a sacrifice that I’m at peace with rewarding myself!

15 Comments:

Blogger Prettylyf said...

This a tough call. All the best in coming into the right decision. You will...

Happy Wednesday!

12:00 PM  
Blogger egm said...

Echoing Prettyylf, this is a tough one.

I have just one question. Did all you women meet up sometime and talk about this? A friend had this exact same proposition to me to become a no-obligations-needed live donor for her. Like your Specimen A, it took eons for that concept to register in my brain.

Wishing you the best as you figure this out.

And congratulations on your graduation!

12:17 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Hmmm ... what was that option (d) again :)

1:21 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Oops ... sorry ... i 4got

Congratulations on your graduation.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

Congratulations girl...so unbelievably proud of you!! I know someone who had a child with one of her exes and they are not together but raise the child jointly and the child is so loved and completely stable!!!!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Juju said...

Congrats on your graduation!! I also didn't "walk"-- too much trouble!

It looks like you have come to terms with how you will have your child(ren). One of my friends was conceived like that, and she has never forgiven her mother because she says she, neither her father, had a choice/say in whether she should have a father in her life or not.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@Prettylyf…Ta! I reckon I should sleep in decision some more.

@Egm…Tee Hee, no we didn’t. I guess it’s the stage of life for some or us…we all take different paths and your friend and I apparently have taken the same! Hmmm are you my specimen A?
TA!

@Mwangi…No option D, they tend to complicate matters!
Thanx a bunch!!!

@Princess…Ta doll…aaaaaaaaaaaaw!
There’s hope for me aiye?

@Majonzi…My sentiment precisely. Thank you.
I think I have but there isn’t a decision that is the end-all. I appreciate your sharing and have oft thought about the beings feelings as they get older and ask questions. Will definitely keep this in mind.

6:07 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

Q, I swear I left a comment here yesterday…first congrats on your graduation. I wasn’t going to walk, my sis insisted.

On the issue of kids, I had asked you whether you are not concerned about the child not having a father figure.

As Majonzi pointed out, wouldn’t you be denying you child that right?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@3N...Blame it on the blogmonster. Ta dude!
I was concerned but I've a brother and father and oh so many male friends who'd embracingly step in to take that role. I do understand the significance of a father figure though.

8:09 AM  
Blogger the art of living said...

First, congrats on your graduation. i can just picture you saying Finaly!!

About the kid thing.. I was brought up by a single mum, great lady I must say. I always had many uncles around.. stil, there is nothing like having your OWN dad, uncles always go back to their own children.. I just would not intentinaly put my kid through what I went through.

10:51 PM  
Blogger B n P said...

mmmh, hell of a plan you got there..whatever you decide, ask yourself if you REALLY wouldn't have minded i f ure mom pulled the same one on you!

6:16 AM  
Blogger bomseh said...

And I thought I was the only one who was running out of time. I feel you. Still, I agree with you on brothers and relas being father figures.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@The AOL...ta 4 stopping by and for the congratulations.
Ta for sharing ur experience. Will put your comment into consideration.

@bnp...I have and this is one of those situations where personal morals and experience pit choice

@bomseh...I reckon there are many on that boat.
For some reason I'm convicted that any man/woman can be a father/mother...it takes more to be a parent!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Klara said...

I hope am not so late! Congratulations!!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@Klara...ta doll, it's never too late!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home