Myalabasterbox

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

She’s Just Not That Into You…

He said I hurt him I said I told you so…I refuse to be subjected to the reverse psychology bollocks...ok not submit but understand that I hurt him when I never told him I liked him.

I’ve been friends with said dude for over 10years on and off but we finally reunited about two years ago and we’ve been almost inseparable. We talk about anything and everything and we can sleep on the same bed and wake up with not so much as the other crossing the boundary. I’ve as much respect for him as I felt he had for me. Problem is though he really really really likes me, love he calls it.

I never played games with him. Always told him that he’s a good friend but he seemed to have this sense of ‘one day she’ll become undone.’ I never did. I’m not attracted to him in any bit. I’m however extremely close to him and we’ve shared the most intimate ups and downs in life. He’s been there for me in situations that I’d never ask another to be in and likewise. For crying out loud I’ve allowed him to see my cry, something I’m not in the habit of letting others see 1) because I don’t cry and 2) because ‘big girls don’t cry. So, what I don’t get is how all this can be reduced to…you hurt me I need time out and he proceeds to not calling to say good morning or checking how my day is going or sharing a silly joke or calling to say good night...our last conversation was succinct!

I must admit that at the beginning I was thrilled by the attention and even the gifts he bestowed on me. However, after a short while I got bored with that and politely asked that he stop the showering, which he did. Wouldn’t that be clue number one. I felt like I was leading him on by accepting the gifts and yet not putting up or feeling the same as he was.

I love you but not like you love me I’d find myself constantly saying. I never wanted for our friendship to be superficial or made out of pretenses and I appreciated that we were honest with each other enough to understand that on the love thing we were not on the same page.

Now I’m left with one less friend…a bitter pill to swallow for me because 1) I cherish my friends and 2) in my heart he was a true friend. Now I’m left questioning our friendship. Was it all a ploy…get her to fall in love with you and she’ll be forever yours! My heart is gashed man…I will however learn to let go off this one though.

I hate to think that I’m capable of hurting another being. I really believe that I’m a really nice genuine being and that my essence exudes of positive energy…to think that I’ve actually caused one to hurt is unfathomable.

Ok so now this is my self-psychoanalysis:
I’ve been in the same situation. Was head over heels about a guy and I thought I’d simply die if we didn’t exist as one. Then one day he told me he doesn’t feel the same and we don’t want the same things and I was hmmmmmmm gashed to pieces. I didn’t let on though. I rather held my head up and continued to interact with him, to date, might I add. The feelings ebbed away alright but that didn’t take away from our friendship.
I think I’m trying to impose my coping mechanisms on him. Just because I seemingly handled myself well when faced with a similar situation I subconsciously believed that he should have and now I’m plagued with guilt…no guilt here. I still care for him and wonder how he’s doing but I can’t know because he won’t bloody call me…oh well…
The quagmire of life…

8 Comments:

Blogger Acolyte said...

The sad fact is that men can't be friends with women they are attracted to emotionally and physically. It never really goes away and I think you would have noticed it come out had you started dating another man. I dont think his friendship was a ploy to make you fall in love with him, most probably you were actually pals and he fell for you. But on the other hand when most men give you attention that goes above and beyond friends level they most probably have feelings for you.
But 10 years! That dude is patient, I would crush you off after 1 year or less!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@aco...I'm beginning to realize that as well and hence have accepted to let the friendship go. I also realize that I'm ditsy when it comes to a friend being attracted to me...naivety I call it!
No the crush was unleashed almost two years ago...lol, if it was 10 years we'd be married with 2 kids and divorced by now...

5:57 AM  
Blogger Princess said...

I don't think he is being malicious or intentionally trying to hurt you. Sometimes when a person is faced with unrequited love, they finally wake up and smell the coffee and realize that the other person will never develop feelings for them and so they let them go. He obviously feels strongly for you and so it is probably easier for him to let you go than to remain in your life knowing you can never be more than friends.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Klara said...

U need understand da poor Fellow, maybe he needs 2 take time out 2 cope with da fact that the friendship would never develop into somthin deeper!
Bt u 2 will get past this, as long as u gotta maximum respect n trust for one anotha

5:14 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@princess...I don't think he's being malicious either...it just feels weird...I hear ya!

@klara...ta for your comment, I totally understand where his coming from esp. coz I've been there...

6:42 AM  
Blogger mama shady said...

i agree. it ain't his fault yani. i don't get that about guys though, cause for real that puts many chics in weird posisitions. losing friends isnt cool..sigh. pole

7:33 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@mama shady...I hear ya...I dont think it's his fault esp. because we don't choose who we fall in love with. I however feel that when I said nay the first time and repeateadly said I was not interested so for him to continue w the 'but I love you' stuff was/is like him bringing the heartache on himself!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

Losing a close friend is sad coz friends are supposed to be forever! (cliche but true) It's just awkward when the feelings are one-sided and you're trying not to hurt the other person coz you want maintain the friendship. You did your part in being honest about your feelings. Hopefully, the guy can eventually deal with the hurt feelings and contact you.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home