Myalabasterbox

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Pay It Forward…

One of my fave movies ever, apart from Sound of Music, is Pay It Forward. The blatant effortlessness of blessing another by simple random acts of kindness leaves me feeling tingly. The notion has been tugging at my heart probably since I watched an Oprah show late last year when she gave the audience $1000 each, with explicit instructions that they were to go forth and bless another with the given money.

The concept is absolutely 2DIE4 in my mind…I’ve been toying with the idea of following suit on this venture. Not with as much magnitude as she did, but doing a few single acts of kindness for unsuspecting individuals. I’m going to challenge myself to randomly:
select at an old peoples home and spend an entire day doing some volunteer work
pay a utility bill for someone in need
go to a childrens’ home and read to them or hold a baby

At the prospect of not over-doing it (if that is even a possibility) I will stop the list where it is at with the possibility of adding to it at a later time!

Why am I making this ‘public?’ Well, because I feel that this is a great concept that many need not only know about, but be inspired by. Humanity deserves a chance at life and the myriad of blessings that we each can impose upon it…simply stupendous!

13 Comments:

Blogger kipepeo said...

Definately a great concept. I'm a starving student, so I am the one who could use the $1000, so instead I say a prayer for random people I see on the streets, driving or doing whatever. I just ask God to bless them. Who knows, maybe someone did the same for me.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

That is one of my favorite movies..very inspirational!!!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@kipepeo...I've been a starving student so I feel ya...and prayer does go a long way!

@princess...I watch it every time I feel the world coming down on me...just to gain perspective!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Magaidi said...

A commercial on B.E.T, in celebration of history month has America's present favorite rags to riches star,Chris Gardner sending the message that you don't have to be rich to do good.Himself a recipient of the goodwill that people advanced to him, he is also doing the same for the homeless people in San Francisco. What an inspiration - truly paying it forward.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@magaidi...I watched that...truly and inspiration!

11:27 AM  
Blogger jm said...

"pay utility bill for someone in need"

Haiya ... by utility do you mean the universal definition ... coz I swear am i need to pay some "utilities" ... tuongee offline, ama?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@mwangi..."utility" as said by Americans

5:43 AM  
Blogger Ichiena said...

'tis the ripple effect. Go make a difference. Inspired me to get off my butt and do something more as well.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@ichiena...It sure is...go forth and inspire the masses!

12:36 PM  
Blogger egm said...

This just reminded me of the book I just reviewed that talks of Paul once loaning 1000 dollars to a student who needed it bad. His payment terms were, pay me back when it won't be a financial burden for you to do so. Years later, the guy was so grateful, he wanted to know what he could do to repay him, other than just by giving him back the money. Paul told him to do as he did to another in need.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@egm...exciting concept aiye! Book sounds interesting, I'll grab a copy...

5:49 AM  
Blogger SisBigBones said...

Such a noble concept. I was part of a student group in my college that took that concept to heart and did a lot with it. What started as a small student group out to spread some love has now ballooned into the best spring break vacations ever for students at my alma mater. Interested in learning about it? Hit my inbox...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@SBB...it's a mindblowing concept esp. because its so infectious. I'd most def. like to know more about your concept...sounds intriguing

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home