Myalabasterbox

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I think I can I think I will...

…no I’m done with school forever man. It’s been a journey worth the bumpy road. I turned in my last paper a week ago and sat for my last (God-willing) exam almost a month ago. The exam was grueling and I pray to God that I don’t have to re-sit any section.

The other day I was actually toying with the idea of pursuing my PsyD…HAHAHA…what are you high on woman. I may be one of those condemned to being a career student…oh well, if it’s meant to be it shall be but for now let’s just enjoy life and all that it offers.

Now that I have all this time on my hands I can catch up on some books…the list is long and I can’t wait to strike titles off. I’m currently reading one of the most scrumptious books ever written…well, in my opinion. The penmanship is notable. White Mischief is the title and was written by James Fox.

My love for this book could be the fact that it’s based in 1940s Kenya. Drum roooooooooooll…The Murder of Lord Erroll! The accounts of Lords and Ladys and seemingly notable characters among the wabeberu who roamed my beloved nation ever so freely and with a sense of belonging and even ownership is intriguing to me. Their seemingly careless lifestyle and rambunctious ways, have inspired my mind to greater heights of inquiring and understanding colonialism and thus reading about Africa, and Kenya in particular from a narrative perspective (not from that oh so capacious history book that we were subjected to in high school).

White Mischief has made me aware that I know about my history on a very surface almost superficial, skewed level. Yes, I sat in class and listened to history teachers go on and on about periods and eras and decades and chronological events. However, this was for the purposes of passing national exams and moving on to the next educational level. I recently did a three generational genogram of my family…painless effort. This exercise, along with the book have made me thirst for knowledge about my family and our origin. Not the Nilotic route that landed us in our present home but a deeper connection. For instance, knowing who grandmas’ parents were and who their parents’ parents parents were and how she met grandpa and they fell in love or was theirs a case of arranged marriage or…you get the point. Hmmm intriguing…I’ve an adrenalin rush just thinking about it…maybe I’ll make this my project instead of going back to school.

If you have not already read White Mischief grab a copy…then again I may be the last person in the free world who’s just getting to read it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have to go back to school, sometime, and am so not looking forward to it so i can relate.

The book sounds intriguing, i will put it in my to read list. I read something about it in one of the Sunday papers.

I hope you ace your exam!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

No better time than now...get it over and done with or so they say...
It is and while I was reading it Flame Trees of Thika came to mind by Elspeth Huxley...my mind is sooo EXCITED at the prospect of finding and reading it...
Ta man...

6:01 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

about school I don't know if I want to go back, maybe when I am older and doing it just for the purpose of learning more rather than acquiring degrees for a career.
btw I am the second person who hasn't read White Mischief. Will add it to my list of oh 1 book to read.
magazine and holiday cards count, right?

6:14 AM  
Blogger stackofstiffys said...

Wacha I'll go huntin' for White Mischief. My newly acquired shaggz is a former colonial farm in the former White Highlands. One day way back in High School, I found an old journal that detailed the lives of the whites in that area, with the principal area being my shaggz. Surprisingly I could not blend with the details in the journal!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home