Myalabasterbox

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Music makes me loose control...

Tee hee I think my LOVE for music will be my death, honestly man. Any genre goes. First thing when I wake up in the morn’ is walk to my bathroom and play a CD (my friends think I’m weird that I have a mini CD player in my bathroom). I dance away as I go on with my getting-ready-routine and have often missed the bus coz I had to had to dance to just one more song. I feel a sense of frenzy overcome me and almost act entranced. When I’m blue I put on highest heels and dance to my hearts content. When I want to relax after a long day I put on some Ella or Billy or Louis or Sade and let their guttural voices relax me. When I’m feeling rebellious and confused Mr. Bob has a way of getting to my very core…rock works as well. My naughty or sensual moods can be easily embraced by any reggae or zouk. When I’m homesick I go waaaaaaaay back to Boney M and Abba and the B Gees. I’ve told my family and friends that I want music played at my funeral and if this doesn’t happen then I will come back and haunt them…lol, I know psychotic.
Give me a dance floor and all I’ll need is the occasional bottle of water to keep me going all night. Boy oh boy, I cannot stand it when a dude comes up to talk to me when I’m in the midst of shaking my being away and dares to want to carry a conversation in the melodious din that relaxes my spirit. At work its even worse coz I can’t arbitrarily get up and dance, I do on the sly but it’s too confined. I’ve this seemingly horrible habit of yelling out AUWIIIIIIIIIIIII when I song has so touched my soul…and oft do it subconsciously. I don’t listen to music on my commute for fear of my body betraying the calm, dignified person that I seemingly portray to the public.
I’ve become a music prostitute, exchanging music with anyone who dares to share. Just this past week my acquisitions include Middle-Eastern, Canaan, Robin Thicke, Papa Wemba, Tanya Stephens, ok I can’t go on too embarrassed. I never feel like I have enough music. In my retirement I want to be a DJ or maybe I was in my previous life…there’s an art to it that is mind blowing to me. My spine absolutely gets tingly with the smooth flow of perfectly mixed music. I cannot stand DJs who seemingly ad lib or who feel the need to continuously announce a party that’s weeks away while interrupting MY flow...selfish, I know.
Both my parents are music lovers and so are all my siblings. I’ve memories of how we’d perform for my parents – higher higher your love keeps taking me higher higher. I recall with great amusement how one of my sisters snookered us on a trip to shags one holiday. My parents would always play their lingala music much to our disgust. We’d travel with Tabu Lei and Mbili A Bele and Franco on the over 6 hour journey from Nairobi to Kisumu. They’d then stop by the market and buy more lingala tapes for the rest of our journey. Our pleadings for ‘hip’ music fell on deaf ears. But this one time they gave in so out came sis with the then latest Whitney tape. LOL…it was a single. And all we heard for all of twenty minutes was the original song then the same song in rock and then accappella then instrumental then drum n base and then ma caught on and that was the end of music democracy. Tis weird that I now appreciate lingala and zouk.
I’m looking for Chinese or Japanese jazz…any suggestions anyone!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

achana naye. me i love my music, all kinds of music, spare some, i get high on it, i lose control.

I hate DJs who 'hype' or sing along (woi! haki!). Now, lingala, torture, and kalenjin music, nice, my parents, they love country.

nuff said!

10:16 AM  
Blogger egm said...

I am another music lover. Not as much as you though! And like you, the very few times (read about once or twice a year at most) I go clubbing, I HATE those DJs who pretty much give a running commentary on life, the universe and everything, with the music being played as an afterthought or as a soundtrack to their talking! I want to enjoy my music! I also don't like those who weka too many sound effects. Spoils the flow completely.

As for the AUWIII, those days I used to be able to listen to Capital at jobo, there were several moments like that. Especially on the days when they had mfululizo soul. Ah, can't wait!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Princess said...

I can totally relate to your love for music..I too come from a family of music lovers and when we would drive to shags my dad would let us alternate between his lingala and our music whatever the genre was and sometimes we would even sing songs together. I hate DJ's who talk and interrupt me when I am dancing away and I hate when guys try to disturb me as well.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

A day without music would be torture. I give you lots of respect for being able to dance in heels. It is annoying when somebody cramps your style when you're doing your moves on the dance floor. Especially dudes bila rhythm who just bump 'n grind on chics. You have very diverse tastes. I know nothing about Chinese & Japanese jazz.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ella or Billy or Louis or Sade,janis joplin, all that melloness OMG. then i loooove Rhumba to death and have developed a love for Bango i can dacne all night. No music no life i tell you. Dont like sing-a-long DJs and too much mixing and scratching thoug i must admit i have my fair share of mondegreens LOL
Thanks will try and check up on that Jazz and hola

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check this out
http://www.shjazz.com/downloads.html

12:34 AM  
Blogger freespirit said...

We are langas for the music together...this morning i sat in the parking lot at work waiting for this song to end, then another started...aahhhh almost called in sick from the parking lot... Music is food for the soul, it has a way of uplifting your spirits and speaking to your situation when you needed it. I have to try the Japanese Jazz that should be cool. I love the fact that i'm not stuck to one genre of music and some people find that weird, but HA HA i'm the one having all the fun..

5:16 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

hey all, maybe we can have a grand ole party since we have blogging and music as a common grounds...possiblilities are endless
@gish...ta for the website...added cd to my collection

5:42 AM  
Blogger Klara said...

I feel like screaming! Thank u.... I also love Music, anything cool & danceable makes me wanna shake! Nice blog!!

6:45 AM  
Blogger PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Fianlly! A gang of music loving women. For me Zouk is like a warm, tight, comforting hug when the world has kicked my behind.
I understand the mayowe when a song catches. I clutch my head like I have been clobered with a bat. The action helps to keep my brain intact in the midst of all the explosions in my head. Goose bumps.....

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home