Myalabasterbox

Friday, October 27, 2006

Memories are made of these...

I woke up early this morn' to the blissful sound of rain...almost called in but remembered that tis friday and we do get off at noon so why call in.
My mind travelled to my early primary experiences and for some reason all I could think about was Sister Pauline standarding over us, during music lessons, and yelling as loud as her lungs had capacity for. This one memory that keeps haunting me is when she wanted, no was demanding for us to memorize a poem (My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson). Why, I thought, do we need to lock this to memory...I'm still wondering. Years later I still remember every single word to this poem and can recite it without much struggle...I highly believe this is due to dear Sister Paulines seeming threatening manner and consequent punishment if we didn't master what she was attempting to instill in our minds...

My Shadow
I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.
The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller than an india-rubber ball,
And sometimes he’s so little that there’s none of him at all.
He hasn’t got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he’s a coward you can see;
I’d think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me
One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.


Have a fab wknd y'all...

7 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

Nice poem. There is something soothing about the sound of the rain. It is amazing how much we ingrain in our memories as children that we can alter recite. I bought a Classic Poetry book and was able to recite from memory almost all of them because we had to memorize them when we were younger.

8:50 AM  
Blogger egm said...

You know, until this very second, I had completely forgotten about that poem! I do remember being made to memorize that same exact poem! What school did you go to??

Ah, rain! We expect to get hit by that tomorrow. But the masochists that my friends and I are, we plan on going on a hike we had talked about since way back when. I know I would much rather be in bed, but at 10am I shall be huffin n puffin my way up a hill, poncho over me.

9:07 AM  
Blogger SisBigBones said...

You remembered the words to this poem? Impressive! That sister Pauline must have been something! Enjoy your weekend :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger R said...

metoo! metoo! (She said, her eyes glistening with tears...)

I recited this poem in primary school. I think it was for some category of music or drama or such festival... I can't remember now... but I remember reciting it over and over and over again...

Memories ARE made of these. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk about nuns making you cram things...the apostles creed...im not catholic but can still recite it, ranom poems, songs, bless them though! lovely poem...innocence of childhood.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Klara said...

Down da memory lane! I used how hard it was memorising those lines sometimes I would just mum along with da rest until I learn..

4:17 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@princess...couldn't agree with you more on ingrain childhood memories and that's why it esp infuriates me when ppl committ heinous acts to those innocent beings

@egm...i'm sure you still can recite it...i went to a convent

make sure your head is well covered...we don't want you getting a head cold or none like that man...enjoy your hike

@sisbigbones...ta for dropping by...my memory is whack or so i'm told so remember this poem is indication to me that what we learn in our formative years leave lasting impressions

@r...tee hee i can almost see the 'glist' from here...you're welcome for the stroll n ta for dropping by

@kipepeo...ha ha...now that i can recite in my dreams!

@stwap...u me both, thank god sister pauline couldn't read lips...or so i think...ta for stopping by

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home