Myalabasterbox

Monday, September 18, 2006

KP Time!!!

One of my greatest pet peeves (that beats squeezing toothpaste from any which point, or leaving the toilet seat up or talking on the phone as you munch away or honking/whistling at me as you drive by or gossip or…) is being late…what’s the point of setting appointments if you can not be on time…you call me and tell me lets meet at 7:00pm for dinner…we both agree on 7:00…why then would you think that you arriving an hour later is kosher…it is not, never has been and never will be so get your act together…7:00 doesn’t equate to I’ll get there when I can…7:00pm is simply that…not 7:05 or 8:00 for that matter…it is my conviction that people who don’t keep time have no regard for others and are almost if not conceited bordering on narcissistic in nature…they figure that the person waiting on them has nothing important to do than to sit and wait on their tardy behinds till kingdom come…the other day it was a friends birthday and we thus took her out to eat…arrrrrrgh I loathe group dinners, simply because there’s always this one or two or three beings who’ll be on CP time (or KP time they call it now – Kenyan People time as I was told by a friend)…the bday gal was hmmm lets see about 45mins late then because etiquette calls, we had to wait on the rest of the party to sashay in about an hour after the agreed time and then go round the table and hug everyone then take their bloody time looking at the drink menu only to decide on tap water and then finally the big Q…oh, have y’all ordered, were you waiting on me…no the cook quit and we’re waiting on them to hire one, what do you think…I’m more forgiving of someone who calls ahead and says I’m running 5, 15 minutes late…I ordinarily give people 15 minutes, 20 tops, anything more than that should be cancelled or re-scheduled…and what’s further annoying to me in these tardy situations is when our people are planning an event they’ll put KP time into consideration…so that if you’re a stickler for punctuality and you come on time to an event that was advertised for four, you’ll have possibly a 2 hour wait before the event starts to look like it’s about to kick-off…very presumptuous of people to decide that if you’ve planned to do something with them you’re dedicating the entire SATURDAY to them…ok I’m done time ranting…all in all diner went well after I got over my irritation with tardiness and the food, drink and laughter was hmmmmmmm, topic for another blog…no, allow me…the food was preposterous…it was like a food channel moment…minute, cute portions displayed on the most gorgeous plates and that’s all there was to that…I personally had to excuse self to go spit up my salad…how do you mess a salad up, arrgh…everyone enjoyed their minute portions of steak and mashed potatoes and broccoli, wishing they could have been more but I guess this wasn’t anywhere close to your typical all you can eat buffet kinda restaurant…my evening ended up great note…after diner I went home eagerly sat in front of the telli to watch Black.White…loooooooooooooove this show…I stumbled upon it about three wks ago and ensued to txt all who I know about it’s greatness only to find out that I got on the wagon too late and these are actually reruns…that didn’t take the eagerness and anticipation with which I awaited the show - I’ve had a date for three consecutive Saturdays 10p – 1a…I’ve never been one to agree with black people when they go on and oooooooooon about the white man this and the white man that and I felt that this show was/is making an effort at each race realizing the other and yes I’m part of the population that strongly agrees that the race card is overplayed and can be overcome…living in the south I’ve had some seemingly racist experiences but I’ve not let them decide the direction in which my life is taking…and maybe I’m so detached cause I know that when all is said and done I do have a home/country that I belong to…as ignorant as this may sound I strongly believe that racism is a control-make-em-hopeless kinda social paradigm…Black.White a very socially responsible show if you ask me…some things I will never understand but I got an understanding of some and watched in awe and disbelief and even with disgust as some of the scenes unfolded and got more convicted that I will not get assimilated into the ‘black’ culture or the racist mentality for that matter coz that would be to my detriment…

4 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

I also dislike waiting on people who don't value other people's time. At least the evening ended up being fun despite the nasty salad.

3:16 PM  
Blogger egm said...

Like you, I cherish punctuality. Like you, my toothpaste has to be squeezed from bottom of tube up. Like you, that whole talking while on phone thing irks me. Eh, for that one of leaving toilet seat up, hmm.. let's just agree to disagree on that one :).

Lakini seriously, the time thing is messed up. I have been to an event that was advertised as starting at a certain time, only to find out an allowance had been made for KPT. So there you are, trying to look busy, and you find the party is happening about two hours after the fact as people start streaming in. And not just Kenyans, I went to this bash that was predomniantly for African Americans, and the same thing happened there. About an hour or so after I got there at the advertised time is when folks started showing up aplenty. So now what I do it, when something says it's starting at a particular time and it's a Kenyan/Af-Am event, I show up about an hour or so after the fact. If the event is one organized by whites, I show up at the time printed. There are exceptions to both, however, that I have experienced, so my game-plan doesn't work 100% of the time.

Like you, I also don't put too much on the race-card issue. My thing is, if that's how they feel about me, then too bad. I just live my life. As I read somehere, how your life turns out is 10% what others do to you and 90% how your react to that.

I know the show you speak of, Black.White. Just that as I don't watch tv, I have never seen an episode of it.

7:27 AM  
Blogger egm said...

Ah, my brain was quicker than my fingers, or was it the other way around? I meant eating while talking on the phone. Kwani phones are for talking? :) Lakini with the things phones can do nowadays, one would be forgiven for thinking it strange that you buy a phone to talk to others...

7:42 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

@ princess...you and i can seemingly hang out...
@egm...i've started declining invitations coz my tolerance for untimeliness is fading...
i was lucky to have caught reruns of Black.White on FX

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home