Myalabasterbox

Friday, September 15, 2006

HIV/AIDS...

I am what they call a humanitarian by nature, with my biggest passion being HIV/AIDS…the eradication of the disease is paramount in my opinion…my life’s dream is to go back home and bombard the country with AWARENESS campaigns - abstinence and condoms and workshops and education and counseling…In this day and age there is not an acceptable excuse that I can think of for the swelling number of HIV/AIDS cases or orphans that's sweeping the nation...I believe that those in power have an obligation to promote awareness by using as much zeal as they do while campaigning…the stigma associated with the disease needs to be one of the first issues addressed…people need to stop being in denial about having HIV/AIDS and pretending to the rest of the world as they continue to spread the disease…the best people in my minds eye that can help fight the disease are those who have been afflicted/affected by it’s rummaging power…in my perfect world I would solicit the help of one who has directly suffered as a result of self or a loved with HIV/AIDS…these individuals would travel the nation educating and basically exposing others to facts about HIV/AIDS…in my perfect world again, I would encourage those who are still virgins to remain so until they are ready to safely share this scared part of selves with another, I would encourage abstinence or celibacy and I would also encourage the use of safe sexual practice…does that make sense…I’m sure it does because we all know that there is not one answer to prevention…I believe that an honest start to safe sex is to go with partner, ok ok go alone if that’s what you prefer but go for testing and practice safe monogamous sex after finding out test results…all this in my perfect world…one big thing that I hope to promote is sex education in both at home and in schools…for most and I stand corrected our sex education was gained by listening to peers or trial and error or watching tellie…I believe it is the responsibility of our parents to educate us on safe sex and by educate I don’t mean scaring one into not having sex for the fear of getting pregnant but rather informing one of pros and cons of having sex and safe sex…my mother did in her own not so subtle ways and looking back I appreciate that she did…along with parents informing children, schools should counter the parental informal education by integrating sex education into the curriculum and I’m sure they can fit it in within the 10+ subjects that students have to take…yeah yeah they have enough on their plates one may argue, but this is a small price to pay…plus you wouldn’t have to get tested just informed man…I appreciate that there are several NGOs that cater to the awareness of the disease but I do feel that there is oh so much more that can be done and now I have an adrenalin rush with what I can contribute to this cause…I believe that this is my purpose in life and I am tired of wasting my knowledge and have thus made my decision to return home and work toward this passion…there are various ways that you can support the fight against HIV/AIDS…visit one of these sites or search the web for opportunities that desperately await you…
www.theone.org
www.hopeforafricanchildren.org
www.twanatitu.org
www.hopehiv.org

one more thing before I go…get tested and know your status!

5 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

I think that it is awesome that you are so passionate about this epidemic. I agree that individuals have a tendency to turn a blind eye to the severity of this disease or to take an indifferent position because it does not affect them directly. You are truly an inspiration to me.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

Princess...i hope i inspired you to go get tested ha ha...ta for the kind words

5:50 AM  
Blogger Princess said...

As a matter of fact every time I go for my annual check-up with my gynaecologist he tests me for everything so no inspiration required here.

9:33 AM  
Blogger kny@hart said...

man, i still remember when i did a speech on getting tested. i have never seen whiter, blanker faces of people in denial than that.

you know your making sense and passing an important message and yet i could see the words go in one ear and out the other...

4:11 AM  
Blogger Quintessence said...

kny...i'm glad the blank looks etc didnt deter you from standing up and educating...and even though all may not have captured what you were saying i'm confident that you got to someone...and thats whats important i believe...

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home